Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

On Mother's Day, like every other day, I am acutely aware of how blessed I truly am.  My husband is my best friend; our three boys, miracles.  We have happy, healthy, children.  Our needs are met.  We are, indeed, blessed.

When people learn about Josiah (and his Down syndrome), some say "I don't know how you do it."  When they learn about the prenatal diagnosis, "you must have been devastated."  When they learn of those early months and the heart issues - "that must have been awful."  These are not uncommon statements.  Matter of fact, they are quite commonplace amongst new friends.

Do what???  We simply raise our children.  We try to make the best lives possible for our family.  The prenatal diagnosis was not devastating, it pushed us to educate ourselves.  It pushed us to prepare in a way unlike with our first two boys.  We were not devastated; we were grateful for the knowledge and opportunity for growth.  The heart issues were not awful.  It was a serious issue that was fixed (with the amazing help of a few very special people).  Josiah's heart was changed from broken to whole.  The ending was anything but awful.

I don't think I do anything special.  Each day, C & I awake and do the best we can.  Sometimes we yell.  Sometimes we scream.  Sometimes we cry.  Sometimes we laugh.  Always, we protect and love each other and our children.  We go to doctor's appointments.  We juggle school and social commitments.  We try to balance stress and play.  We can't always afford to do the things we'd like but at the end of the day we are satisfied with all we have.  I am not special.  Our family is not extraordinary.

Let me tell you about someone that is extraordinary.  I shall simply call her J.

J lost a father during her vulnerable adolescent years.  Her Dad was 50.  She would complete High School and College, without the admiration of a father in the audience.  She would marry; a dear family friend would walk her down the aisle.  She would dance her first dance without her Daddy's arms.  She would have four children.  She would bury two: one at two weeks, the other at 50.

She would love her children unconditionally.  Her grandchildren would look forward to every moment shared.  She would always say "I love you" to her husband before he retired for the night.  She would hug first, and last.  She would make everyone who knows her, look at her with admiration.

Well into her 70's, J remembers what is important.  She remembers the Lord in everything she does.  She gives thanks for everything, and asks for nothing.  She sacrifices first.  She 'takes' last.  She is a true gift.  May she live for many years to come.

If I live until eternity, may I become half the mother (and woman) she has demonstrated herself to be.

Always remember: Live well.  Laugh often.  Hurt never.  Be grateful always.

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment