Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas 2011

Last year, we had finished shopping & had all gifts wrapped by August.  This year, the extreme was true.  We were still shopping on 12/22, wrapped what was necessary for 12/24 (about 4 gifts), then stayed up until 6:30am wrapping everything else.  I'm going to try not to let that happen again next year :)

Christmas Eve we spent at my parents house, participating in a 130+ year tradition.  We gathered to read what we refer to as "the Christmas story," the same one that's been read in our family, on Xmas eve, since 1872.  This was the first Christmas Eve without my brother, Scott.

In an effort to keep Scott's memory alive (and positive), I devised a 'new tradition.'  My Dad read the story, then I pulled out a helium filled balloon.  On it, I had written these words (which I found on the net, by an unknown author):

"If tears could build a highway
and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to Heaven
and bring you home again."

We passed the balloon around the room, and everyone added their own messages to Scott.  Once all messages had been written, we went out onto my parents back deck.  We held the string to the balloon, wished Scott a Merry Christmas, and let go....launching the balloon towards Heaven.  It was a touching moment.  I hope to continue that tradition hereafter.

As for the boys....they had a great time receiving stockings that Santa leaves at their grandparents house.  They exchanged gifts with those that wouldn't be present on Christmas Day.  Josiah is too young to be an active participant.  His two year old brother still likes boxes more than what is contained within.  The four year old just loves Christmas.  My husband and I have so much fun watching him.  I said to Carl, "Isn't there something magical about watching Christmas through the eyes of a child."

Christmas Day was spent at our house.  Santa came through for the four year old, bringing the very gifts he'd asked for.  How magical it is.  The two year old enjoyed mess-making & Josiah observed and slept lol.

On Monday, we spent the day at Nana's house.  The boys enjoyed the day with their Nana, Uncle, and Auntie.  The oldest (the little firefighter) was gifted a beautiful ride-on pedal firetruck!  Wow, did his eyes light up when he saw that.  He and his 2-yr old brother had a blast playing with that.  The younger boys got tons of great interactive toys....which they love :)

Carl & I are so blessed with the wonderful family we have <3

I look forward to all our future Christmas's.  It is such a great time of year.  I'm sorry that my brother Scott won't be here to enjoy them with us. 

May the balloon filled with words of love find its way to Heaven, every year.  Merry Christmas, Scott <3

No comments:

Post a Comment